"Since I started working out with Northwest Personal Training, I have never missed a session - my trainer would kill me if I skipped out! I have lost 20 lbs already!" - John Fazzolari, Fazzolari Homes
Featured Event Knowledge is Power Series for 2013 - FINAL SESSION OF THE YEAR - Healthy Holiday Cooking Mark your Calendars! Date: 11/19/13
Girlfriends & The Dudes Triathlon Event Date(s): 07/19/2009 Short distance triathlon along the beautiful Columbia River with a separate male and female start
General Event Details:
9:00am Charity Start / The Girlfriends Start at 9:10 / The Dudes start at 9:30am
Yes, you can do it!
This Triathlon is a perfect distance for the novice or veteran triathlete. It's short enough that anyone can finish it. And for those who are more experienced, you can push the pace and work on your speed.
We've separated the male and female starting times with ladies first at 9:10am after the charity wave.
1/2 Mile Swim: A fast, down current swim in the Columbia River! Novice swimmers can feel comfortable knowing the edge is just a few feet away in the event they get tired. The only rule is you can't advance forward if you're touching the sand. So if you must take a break, you must stay where you are until you are ready to resume swimming. Any swim stroke is acceptable including front crawl, back crawl, side-stroke, back float and doggie paddle. :) Athletes will walk from the swim exit to the swim start 1/2 mile upstream. Consider it a great warm-up! Wetsuits are allowed but not required. Sorry, arm floaties or inner tubes are not acceptable for the adults. :)
Bike: The cycle is a 12.5 mile flat ride along country roads. Road or mountain bikes are allowed. Helmets are required.
Run: The run is a 3 mile flat, out and back run on paved trails.
The Girlfriends & Dudes Triathlon is a great course for spectators to watch the swim, transition, run and the finish from the park. There's a playground and beach for the kids, and volleyball nets for fun after-event activities so bring the whole family.
Frenchmans Bar, Vancouver WA - No, this is not an actual bar - sorry:) It's a great little beach spot on the Columbia River that few people know about - until now!
Take I-5 to Exit# C1-1D
Go West on Fourth Plain Blvd which turns into Lower River Road. At the fork in the road, you'll go Left away from Vancouver Lake park. Follow signs to Frenchman's Bar park. It's about a 10 minute drive from I5 Bridge.
By May 31st: $70
By July 17th: $80
July 18th/19th: $90
By May 31st: $100
By July 17th: $110
July 18th/19th: $120
$25 per person optional charitable contribution to Janus Youth and obtain Premium Transition Spot and First Wave Rights
Kids Mini Tri
By May 31st: $30
By July 17th: $40
July 18th/19th: $50
• Technical Runner’s Shirt
• Accurate Chip Timing
• Finisher’s Gift
• Bag of stuff
• Post-Race Festivities – ongoing as triathletes finish
• Vendors/Health Fair
• Volleyball games
• Kids Mini-Tri
• Awards Ceremony – 11:30am
o Overall and 3 deep in each age category
Janus Youth Programs Janus Youth Programs has been changing lives and building futures for children, youth and families in Oregon and Washington since 1972.
From residential treatment programs, the Northwest’s largest array of runaway and homeless youth services, alternative education classrooms, a detention program, a college scholarship program, a teen parent program, and a 60,000 square foot urban agriculture program addressing hunger and employment and community health issues, Janus is committed to delivering innovative community-based programs.
Reaching nearly 36,000 children, youth and families yearly, Janus Youth Programs is one of the largest nonprofits in the Northwest committed to delivering programs that change lives and build futures.
We will be helping to raise funds for Janus Youth (Washington Services) through the Premium Registration option and collecting donations on their behalf - please see their needs list in the "What to Bring" section. Visit their website here.
1/2 Mile Swim Route:
12.5 Mile Bike Route:
3 Mile Run Route:
Events and Activities:
Little Girls and Dudes Tri: Start time will be approximately 12:00 once all the adults have completed the Adult Tri.
1. Adult Swim Assistance: Adult swim assistance is MANDATORY during the swim course. At least one parent/guardian must either swim side by side with their child for safety reasons. For older children (11+ category)whose parents confirm the child is a very strong swimmer, it is acceptable to have the adult watch their child along the riverbank. However, this is a river with a current, so each child must have one adult overseeing them the entire time they are in the water. In addition, adult volunteers will be in the water for safety.
2. Adult Course Assistance: Younger children should be assisted throughout the entire event by a parent/guardian to ensure they stay on course and are encouraged. As much as possible, try to let them do everything by themselves (but assistance is allowed to ensure a positive experience).
3. Swim Aids: Swim aids such as kickboards or flotation devices will be allowed. No performance enhancing devices such as fins will be allowed.
4. Training Wheels - Training wheels will be allowed.
The upper age limit is 15 years old at the time of the event. There is no set lower age limit but parents/guardians should assess the child's abilities to complete the prescribed course. The Little Girls and Dudes Triathlon is conducted to be a positive experience and no child should be entered that is not going to benefit from the experience. Being asked to perform beyond one's abilities may not be a positive experience
1. 6 and under: 1 mile
2. 7-10 years: 2 miles
3. 11-15 years: 3 miles
1. 6 and under: ¼ mile
2. 7-10 years: ½ mile
3. 11-15 years: 3/4 mile
Note: Finisher’s Medal – All Kids Tri participants receive a finisher’s medal. No placement awards will be given this year.
Last, we will offer an impromptu Toddler's version which will include a little splash in the water, a little loop on their tricycle/big wheel and a trot around the park. Nothing too hard or serious. There is no cost for the toddlers (but also no shirts/awards/timing) - just lots of great film footage for awesome family memories. This event will be completed after the official Kids Triathlon is completed and is perfect for the Toddler, like ours, who will have a difficult time staying on course and focused! Good for lots of laughs!
Other Event Information:
Awards & Celebrations:
You're a winner just for showing up to support this great community event. But to reward those kick-butt athletes, here’s what we’ve come up with:
• Trophies for Top Three Men and Women Overall
• Trophies for Top 3 Men and Women in the following Age Groups:
10-14yrs, 15-19yrs, 20-24yrs, 25-29yrs, 30-34yrs, 35-39yrs, 40-44yrs, 45-49yrs, 50-54yrs, 55-59yrs, 60-64yrs, 65-69yrs, 70+ You get a winners’ ribbon just for showing up!! All Kid Triathletes get a finisher's gift.
What to do to be Prepared:
Train with us at Northwest Personal Training & Northwest Women's Fitness Club so you're in the best shape of your life and can get to the finish line, no problem! We will be hosting a Triathlon Training clinic - call us at 360.574.7292 for details.
For our out of town guests, if you are flying, you will need to schedule your flight arriving into Portland Oregon. The event start and finish and local hotels are a 20 minute cab ride from the airport.
Book your accommodations at one of the following hotels. They are about a 10 minute drive to the start/finish area:
The Hilton Hotel
301 W. 6th St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
401 E. 13th St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
Northwest Personal Training Company Rate: $75.95
Red Lion Hotel at the Quay
100 Columbia St.
Vancouver, WA 98660
Northwest Personal Training Preferred Rate: $79
Group Rate Code: NOW
Phone: 360.694.8341 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell all your friends about this event so you can all have fun together. Plus the more people who participate, the more money we can raise for our beneficiary.
What to Bring:
Well bring the obvious - your wetsuit (optional), goggles, your running shoes and/or cycling shoes, your bike, your helmet, event clothes, your chip timing piece, your race bib number etc.
Also remember to bring a change of clothes for after the event so you can enjoy the post-race festivities. It's a great beach-day venue.
Last, please bring a donation for Janus Youth Organization. There needs list is as follows:
• First Aid Supplies - Sterile pads, Band-Aids, alcohol pads, packets of antibiotic cream, hydrocortisone
• Hygiene Supplies - shampoo, conditioner, hair accessories, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, razors, tampons, sanitary pads, Chapstick, Kleenex, medicated foot powder
• Sewing Kits - needles, thread, safety pins
• Non-perishable Snacks - microwave popcorn, potato chips, cookies, crackers, fruit snacks
• Recreation Equipment - foosball table, croquet set, frisbees, billiard and ping pong accessories
• Games - board games, decks of cards, chess sets, jigsaw puzzles, non-violent video games
• Clothing - socks, boxers, panties, bras (all sizes), sweat pants, sweat shirts, t-shirts, pants, jeans, slacks, belts, interview clothes
• Cold Weather Gear - gloves, hats, jackets, warm coats, umbrellas,
• Street Survival - tarps, flashlights, boots, water bottles, batteries, pet collars and leashes
• School Supplies - backpacks, notebooks, pens/pencils
• Art Supplies - markers, crayons, chalk, paint, paintbrushes, drawing pads, construction paper
• Phone Cards - for long distance calling
• Gift Certificates - to be used at any store including music stores, McDonald’s, Fred Meyer
• Garden Tools - shovels, hoes, trowels, yard and lawn rakes, gloves
• Bedding - blankets, pillows, twin-size sheets, sleeping bags
• Vacuum Cleaner - hand held
• Technology - computers, printers, scanners, fax machines
We can only accommodate 400 people so be sure to register early.
Volunteers - This event requires a ton of volunteers so if you can recruit someone to help out that would be extremely helpful. If they're going to come and cheer you on, they might as well get front-row seats!
Have them email the following to email@example.com if they can help out:
Cell Phone Number:
Any specific time constraints they have:
A HUGE thank you to our Event Sponsors!
Max Muscle A big thank you to Max Muscle, the local authority on Sports Nutrition products, for their ongoing support of community events. Visit their website here
Corwin Beverage Co A huge thank you to Corwin for supplying all of our water needs for the Girlfriends & Dudes Triathlon and ensuring we all stay hydrated! From one truck and three employees in 1941, to over 100 trucks and more than 100 employees today, family-owned Corwin Beverage Company has established a business tradition of community involvement and offering over 300 different beverages to fit any lifestyle. Visit their website here
Tommy O's A big thank you to Tommy O's for hosting a food and beer tent for this event. We're going to have an awesome post-event party! Visit their website here
Clark County Sheriff Reserve Unit A big thank you to the Clark County Sheriff Reserve Unit who will keep us safe and protected during the event! Visit their website here
Fit Right Northwest A local footwear and clothing dealer in Portland and Vancouver that provides incredible customer service and offers weekly walking and running clinics. We send all of our clients to Fit Right Northwest and they return with rave reviews.